Sunday 31 January 2021

A Wealden Wood in January

Since the current lockdown has been in place, I have only been doing my exercise walks directly from home and it has given me the opportunity to re-acquaint myself with a couple of very local woods that I have not wandered into for a few years.

I wont put the moth-trap out until we start getting several mild nights in succession but I do occasionally put up an early season moth as I walk through the woods. 


Spring Usher (Agriopis leucophaearia) (male)




As I paused to look closely at a fungus growing in a hedgerow, a Robin started trilling just a few feet away and carried on as I slowly got my camera out.


Robin (Erithacus rubecula)




The world of fungi in a January wood seems to be dominated by Brackets, Crusts and Jellies. 


Jelly Ear (Auricularia auricula-judae)






Witches' Butter (Exidia glandulosa)





A view of Old Heathfield, East Sussex, from one of my local walks.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.