Tuesday 8 October 2019

Autumn on Pevensey Levels

There is definitely an end-of-season feel in the air as I walk around Pevensey Levels at this time of year. The maize crop has been harvested, the hedges have been cut and the meadows mown.

 Butterfly numbers have fallen away and although I saw my first Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus) of the year (and probably the last) in the last week of September, I have not seen any third brood Wall (Lasiommata megera) this year. 

However, the water ditches are providing plenty of Odonata activity.

The population of Willow Emerald Damselflies (Chalcolestes viridis) that I found in 2018 has grown this year and I have been observing them on a regular basis. Most of the males that I have seen have been holding territories on oak foliage hanging low over the water ditches. I have also seen three pairs in tandem on three different days, all of which were seen flying into the oak foliage. I saw one pair (through binoculars) in ovipositing posture but I cannot be sure that any eggs were laid as the event was brief. The males are now starting to show signs of ageing as they turn from iridescent green to a dull bronze colour.

Migrant Hawkers (Aeshna mixta) are still plentiful and can regularly be found basking together in the autumn sunshine.


Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) (males)






Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) (basking males)





Migrant Hawker (A. mixta) (ovipositing female)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.