Monday 7 December 2015

Lakes, Moats and Millponds

My wife and I have been National Trust members for some years now. The Trust owns large tracts of countryside and coastal strip which can be a haven for wildlife and many of their properties also have lakes, moats and millponds which provide a home for many species. Whilst I enjoy looking around historic buildings, I am invariably drawn to the gardens to check out the waterscapes.

Batemans at Burwash is our nearest Trust property and I usually call in on my way back from anywhere to sit by Kipling's boating pond and watch for insects.


Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) (male)



Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator) (male)



Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) (pair in tandem)



Elephant Hawkmoth (Deilephila elpenor) (green form larva on water plantain sp.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.