Sunday 27 December 2015

Halcyon Summer Days

I think I read somewhere that globally, chalk landscapes are rare, but growing up in a Brighton suburb on the edge of town, the South Downs around Brighton and Lewes have always been a familiar playground to me.

As an antidote to these endless grey damp days of winter, I think back (and look forward) to those halcyon days of summer, wandering the East Sussex downs under warm blue skies.


Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus) (male)



Chalkhill Blue (Lysandra coridon) (males)


 
Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus) (males)


 
Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus) (female)


 
Dark Green Fritillary (Argynnis aglaja) (male)

 
 
Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) (female)



Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera)........I see a laughing jester rather than a bee!



Lizard Orchid (Himantoglossum hircinum)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.