Saturday 10 December 2022

Some Moths during November and December

 With a very wet November just gone and the prospect of sub-zero night-time temperatures for the foreseeable future, I suspect that I am unlikely to get the moth-trap out again until the first mild spells in the new year.

Over the last few weeks, my moth catches have been paltry. Apart from the eponymous November Moth and December Moth, I have only seen one or two other species.


December Moth (Poecilocampa populi) (males)






November Moth (Epirrita dilutata)




Dark Sword-grass (Agrotis ipsilon)




Light-brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana)





Some other insects remained active well into the very mild Autumn.



Minotaur Beetle (Typhaeus typhoeus) (female)




Hornet (Vespa crabro)

Two individuals guarding the nest entrance in a dead beech trunk.





I regularly come across amphibians when I am working in the woods, especially during Autumn and Spring.



Common Frog (Rana temporaria)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.