Sunday 27 September 2020

Reacquaintance with the Willow Emerald Damselfly

 2020 is the third year that I have enjoyed watching the development of a population of Willow Emerald Damselflies (Chalcolestes viridis) on Pevensey Levels, that I first found in September 2018. 

I have observed males holding territories on most species of tree that occur at this site, including willow, aspen, hazel, blackthorn and field maple but this population seems to have a preference for oak.

The oaks that overhang the water ditches on this site have thin tendril-like lower branches that hang down into the water. I have now seen three tandem pairs of viridis, all of which have taken a very close interest in these oak branches in the form of oviposturing. However, I have only observed this behaviour through binoculars at distance and as yet I cannot be certain whether eggs have been laid, although it does seem likely.


Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis

Males






A couple of weeks ago, Bob and I enjoyed watching a mating pair of viridis as we sat on a ditch bank with the sun on our backs and zooming in on the action.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.