Thursday 9 April 2020

View from the Terrace

My garden shed had been suffering from the ravages of time for a few years and finally, during the gales of late winter, it succumbed and had to be dismantled. Apart from a couple of bikes and folding chairs, most of what it contained was junk and so I decided that we didn't really need to replace it. After some rearranging of potted plants, the shed base was quickly converted into my new, rather grandly named sun terrace.

As the coronavirus lock-down has become the new norm, I have taken to spending time sitting on 'the terrace' with my binoculars and copious cups of tea to watch for insects in the garden.

Since last weekend, I have seen several of our spring emerging species pass through. Small Whites and Holly Blues have been numerous and I have seen one each of Large White and Speckled Wood.

Only a Small White stopped for a photograph.


Small White (Pieris rapae) (female)



I have also been watching the Mason Bees patrolling my south-facing house wall. Half-a-dozen continually checked every hole and crevice in the brickwork but never seemed to make any decision as to which ones they liked. If they land, it is only for a brief second or two before they are off again but later in the day they are partial to basking on some drying bay leaves that I have got hanging on the wall.

 I think that the white hairs on their faces identify them as Red Mason Bees.


Red Mason Bee (Osmia bicornis)






And a few more moths from the moth-trap during the last week.


Streamer (Anticlea derivata)




Early Grey (Xylocampa areola)



Chestnut (Conistra vaccinii)









                                              







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.