Wednesday 12 September 2018

Willow Emerald Damselfly on Pevensey Levels

The Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) has been establishing itself as a breeding species in south-east England since the turn of the 21st century. Over the last few years, I have been on the lookout for it on Pevensey Levels. Rather than travel to where it is known to occur, I have been keen to find it closer to home and on Friday 7th September my patience was rewarded when I spotted a single male holding territory. Two days later, whilst watching the same male, I saw a second individual holding a neighbouring territory.
 
 
Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) (male)
 
 
 
 
Also seen on the levels during the past week.....
 
 
Blood-vein (Timandra comae)

 
 
European Corn Borer (Ostrinia nubilalis) (female)

 
 
The ghost-like shed skin of a Grass Snake (Natrix natrix)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.