Friday 4 May 2018

Life in the Water Channels

I don't normally see the Fen Raft Spider (Dolomedes plantarius) on Pevensey Levels before the end of May but I saw my first one of the year nearly two weeks ago. That individual was too far away to photograph but yesterday I came across a handsome female resting amongst the ditch-side foliage and looking like she had recently undergone a skin-shed.
 
 
Fen Raft Spider (Dolomedes plantarius) (female)
 
 
 
The Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) has been on the wing for the last two weeks and numbers are steadily increasing but yesterday I saw my first Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) of the year, with half a dozen seen on the wing.
 
 
Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (teneral female)

 
 
Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) (female)

 
 
Drinker Moth (Euthrix potatoria) (mid-instar larva feeding on grass sp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.