Monday 28 August 2017

Electra Glide in Blue

I don't quite know why the name of this 1970's film popped into my head when I first saw the magnificent Blue Underwing (Catocala fraxini). It was sitting on the house wall next to the light trap yesterday morning.
 
 Following last year's near miss, when one took off from under my nose before I had a chance to photograph it, I was pleased to catch sight of this one before it saw me.
 
 With those lightening like zigzag markings across its silvery-grey forewings and with a blue flash waiting to surprise you when it uncovers its hind wings, then "Electra Glide in Blue" seemed an apt description. 
 
Also known as the Clifden Nonpareil, this large moth was formerly regarded mainly as a rare migrant to UK shores but it has almost certainly been breeding in south-east England in recent years.
 
 
Blue Underwing (Catocala fraxini)
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.