Friday 5 May 2017

It's in the Post

As I was walking through a gateway on Rye Levels earlier this week I heard the sound of nestlings close by. I stopped by the gate post to peer into the adjacent hedge and when they started calling again I realised that the sound was coming from right under my nose. Looking down into the tubular metal post, about a metre from the top, I could see a nest of well developed Great Tit nestlings.
 
 
Great Tit (Parus major) (nestlings)

 
 
Carol had yet to see the Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria euphrosyne) on the wing this year. By lunchtime today, the grey cloud was starting to show signs of breaking up and so we set off to see what we could find. We were fortunate to find a few males on the wing before the cloud returned for the rest of the afternoon.
 
Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria euphrosyne) (males)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.