Monday 10 April 2017

Spring Emergence Moves On Apace

I keep having to remind myself that we are only just entering the second week of April. The hot weather during this last week has felt more like June or July and the emergence of our Spring butterflies has really moved on apace. Although I have yet to see a Large White (Pieris brassicae) on the wing, I have seen most of the other early Spring species in multiple numbers.
 
I saw my first Green-veined Whites (Pieris napi) on Pevensey Levels (2nd April) and my first Speckled Woods (Pararge aegeria) near Arlington (5th April).
 
The weather was again hot and sunny on Pevensey Levels yesterday. Holly Blues (Celastrina argiolus) were numerous, with three or four males at a time seen patrolling the hedgerows in search of females. I also saw my first Large Red Damselflies (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) of the year (9th April).
 
 
 
Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria) (male)
 
 
 
Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) (teneral male)

 
 
And the pick of the moths in the garden this week;
 
Purple Thorn (Selenia tetralunaria)

 
 
Streamer (Anticlea derivata)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.