Monday, 21 November 2016

A Walk in the Wood

Saturday morning was cold and bright and my intention was to spend a few hours coppicing and thinning in the wood. After an hour, the spark plug on the chainsaw failed and with no spare, I decided to pack the tools away for another day and enjoy a slow walkabout through the trees.
 
Although I can recognise the obvious and showy species of fungi, I am a complete novice when it comes to trying to identify the other 99%. I find them a difficult group to identify, even to family level. When you come across a fresh specimen on the woodland floor they really demand close inspection.
 
 
This is a species of Puffball or Earthball; possibly a Scaly Earthball (Scleroderma verrucosum). A suture line is just visible to the right of centre where the fruiting body will eventually burst open to disperse its spores.
 


 
When at work during the winter months, the occasional micro-moth is inevitably disturbed from the undergrowth. The woodland habitat often provides species that I don't generally get in the garden at home.
 
 
Agonopterix arenella
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment