Thursday 15 September 2016

Agony and Ecstasy

I have been moth trapping for twenty years and I have a mental list of various species I dream of finding at the light in the morning.
 
As I walked out of my back door at 1030hrs on 13th September, a huge moth took off right in front of me from my shed door and flew over my garage, across the road and over the roof of the house opposite. Its large size, pale grey appearance and hint of blue on the hindwings left no doubt as to its identity; a Blue Underwing (Catocala fraxini). Early in the morning my eyes and brain take a while to get going and when I checked the moth-trap at 0630hrs, I just didn't notice it.
 
Whilst it was undoubtedly a WOW! moment, it was also most definitely one of those frustrating AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!! moments.
 
Here is a selection of the more usual fair that has arrived at the light over the last week or so. The first three are regular migrant species and the last two are common resident species.
 
 
Udea ferrugalis
 


Nomophila noctuella



White-point (Mythimna albipuncta)

 
 
Lime-speck Pug (Eupithecia centaureata)
 
 
 
Garden Carpet (Xanthorhoe fluctuata)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.