Tuesday 24 May 2016

Early Spider Orchid

A visit to see my parents in Brighton over the weekend gave me the opportunity for a walk on the Downs to some of my boyhood haunts. One of the best UK sites to see the Early Spider Orchid (Ophrys sphegodes) is just a 30 minute walk away. My mother, having never seen this orchid before, came with us and I was impressed that she can still climb over a five-bar gate at 87yrs.
 
 
Early Spider Orchid (Ophrys sphegodes)
 


Earlier in the week whilst walking beside the Cuckmere River, there were several species of moth flying about in the damp grass. Only this Silver-ground Carpet sat still long enough for a photograph.
 
 
Silver-ground Carpet (Xanthorhoe montanata




On Saturday morning, the moth-trap contained my first hawkmoth species of the year. The Poplar Hawkmoth is one of our commonest species in this group.
 
 
Poplar Hawkmoth (Laothoe populi) (male)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.