Sunday 10 April 2016

Magical Metamorphosis (part 2)

During the last couple of weeks I have been monitoring the development of a Green-veined White pupa (Pieris napi) that has seen out the winter in my garden. When I got up this morning it was intact but by the time I had finished my breakfast the freshly emerged butterfly was expanding its wings beside the empty pupa case. I had first seen the larva preparing to pupate back in October 2015 (click on 'Metamorphosis' label).


The pupa on 2nd April.



 On 5th April the thorax and abdomen are starting to darken.


 
By 7th April the wing markings are showing. 



By 9th April it is clear that a female will emerge.


 
Emergence on 10th April.


 
Green-veined White (Pieris napi) (female)
 


The following morning she was ready to take her first flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.